Military Student FAQs - Brown Mackie College

The Brown Mackie College system of schools proudly offers educational opportunities for active military personnel, reservists, veterans, and their families.

Military - Student Faqs

Military & Veterans FAQ

How do I apply for my GI Bill®?

You can apply for the GI Bill® by filling out the VA forms at You will complete VA form 22-1990 if you are applying for the first time and form 22-1995 if you are transferring your benefits from another institution.

What do I do if I used my GI Bill® at another institution?

You will need to fill out a VA Form 22-1995, Request for Change of VA Educational Program or Place of Training form. The form may be found at

Does Brown Mackie College participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program?

Brown Mackie College is proud to participate in the Post 9/11 GI Bill's® "Yellow Ribbon" program. Depending on your benefit eligibility, you may find that you will be able to attend Brown Mackie College without incurring any out-of-pocket expense for tuition. Contact your student financial services advisor for more details.

Is Brown Mackie College Accredited?

Many of our schools are accredited by the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools to award bachelor's degrees, associate’s degrees, certificates, and diplomas. The Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools is listed as a nationally recognized accrediting agency by the United States Department of Education and is recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation.

ACICS can be contacted at 750 First Street NE, Suite 980, Washington, D.C. 20002. Telephone: 1-202-336-6780. Some of the Brown Mackie College schools are accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and a member of the North Central Association (230 S. LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500, Chicago, IL 60604-1413, 1-800-621-7440, ( For additional information, please refer to our Accreditation & Licensing web page.

What resources or tools are available to use in comparing schools when deciding where to attend school?

The following are resources and tools provided by the Department of Education (ED) and Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) to assist you in comparing institutions and making informed decisions about where to attend school. Please speak with your student financial services advisor directly for additional guidance regarding the usage of these tools.

1.) The College Scorecard which is a planning tool and resource to assist prospective students and their families as they evaluate options in selecting a school and is located at: //

2.) The College Navigator which is a consumer tool that provides school information to include tuition and fees, retention and graduation rates, use of financial aid, student loan default rates and features a cost calculator and school comparison tool. The College Navigator is located at: //

3.) The Financial Aid Shopping Sheet which is a model aid award letter designed to simplify the information that prospective students receive about costs and financial aid so they can easily compare institutions and make informed decisions about where to attend school. The Shopping Sheet can be accessed at: //

4.) The "Paying for College" webpage which can be used by prospective students to enter the names of up to three schools and receive detailed financial information on each one and to enter actual financial aid award information. The tool can be accessed at: //

When can I get assistance from a Brown Mackie College military advising point of contact?

Immediately, the student services department at each school is available to assist with information on benefits and the admissions process.

Military students are encouraged to ask about academic support, financial aid advising, disability services or career counseling that is made available on campus. Students should contact the Brown Mackie College advising point of contact, Head of Student Affairs or Student Services, on campus for further guidance and information.

If I am deployed or transferred, will I be able to continue my education later?

Brown Mackie College understands that military personnel are frequently deployed or transferred. If sudden deployments, relocations, or training missions interrupt your education, our military deployment policy provides for qualified military time off without financial or academic penalty. When your mission is complete, we are here for you. Upon readmission, we will help you to get back on track toward completing your degree.

Please refer to our Military Deployment Refund and Readmissions Policy for additional information. For the College’s refund policy and readmissions information, please refer to the College’s enrollment agreement and catalog.

Which tuition policies are specifically related to veterans and military service members?

Veterans and military service members are charged the same tuition rate as all students and there is no instate or out of state tuition differential.

For a list of Brown Mackie College military and veteran Federal military education benefits, please review Military Education Benefits.

As a military member or veteran, what resources are available to assist me in searching for a job?

Graduates of Brown Mackie College will meet individually with a career advisor who specializes in their field of study to review career goals, job-search strategies, interview techniques and resume development to ensure that they are on the path to success. Please contact the Stud ent Affairs office for additional information.

As military members or veterans, there are many additional resources that are available to assist you in your job search:

Veterans Employment Center:

The Veteran Employment Center (VEC) is a single source site designed by the U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs and their federal partners to help veterans and service members looking for employment opportunities. This site integrates multiple tools and resources for both job seekers and employers. The site includes a military skills translator, a resume builder, a Veterans Job Bank, and other resources. By visiting the Veteran Resource Center, military members and veterans will be connected to employers looking to hire veterans. The site also contains a list of veteran specific career fairs.

U.S. Department of Labor–Veteran Employment and Training:

Veterans may find specialized employment support through the Department of Labor’s American Job Centers, which have veteran employment specialists who work only with veterans in their job search and employers who want to hire veteran talent. These specialized staff positions are known as Disabled Veterans’ Outreach Program (DVOP) specialists and Local Veterans Employment Representatives (LVER). To find the American Job Center and the DVOP or LVER in your area visit the Department of Labor, CareerOneStop

American Corporate Partners:

A mentor to help veterans in their job search is an important resource. American Corporate Partners (ACP) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to assisting veterans in their transition from the armed services to the civilian workforce. With the help of business professionals nationwide, ACP offers veterans tools for long-term career development through mentoring, career counseling, and networking opportunities

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at